Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Plywood and auto parts.

On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 20:53:47 +0100 Carsten Standfuss writes:

>> Was the plywood being used as a mold; that is, was the acrylic
>> being formed against the plywood?
>
>  _        _      plywood ring
>  ----------      acrylic sheet
>  -        ===    plywood ring with air vale
>  ----------      plywood plate

That's the same method in the Markham plans.   How well did
it work?

>> My project is a full-size working replica of Simon Lake's Argonaut
>> Junior.   The original boat was made of two layers of pine planks.
>
>Mike .. -if- your replica should have any historic worth.. it should
>be make close to the original as possible and as information are
>available.. in this case from two layers of pine planks..

The cost of pine planks 14 feet long would be too high.

Historical worth is sometimes a matter of opinion.   I want
to reproduce the functions of the original.   I'm not interested
in cranking myself across the bottom by hand.

>(and for the hardliners.. only with material and tools available
>at the time of the original).

Did everyone see the Discovery Channel reconstruction of
the Drebbel boat?    That's a bit hard line for me.

>They build here a sailboat from year 1230 - with a compass and a
>diesel motor.. From a research sientific-historian point you can not
really
>research history with this vessel..

In the earlly 1980s a U.S. group built a replica of a ship from the
1580s.  The ship was given a diesel and the associated euqipment,
which harmed its sailing ability.

Mike H.

It is possible to make a Ship or Boate that may goe underwater
unto the bottom, and so to come up againe at your pleasure ...
                                                                      -
William Bourne, 1576

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com