Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] nuclear psub?

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:36:02 -0800 "Steven Mills"  writes:

>In order to get back to the subject of submersibles, perhaps
>we might ponder gravity bubbles or gravity wells for pressure
>hulls and hydromagneto drives for propulsion.

I like the idea of the gravity well as a pressure hull.   There'd
be no problem at all with seeing out ....

Someone here, a couple of years ago, claimed to have built
and operated a MHD drive at low ouput.   After the first
announcement, I never heard any more about it.

>Anyone think a microwave/ microwave guide to a chamber that would heat
>the sea water and the rapid expansion from heated water would
>generate enough thrust ?  I think the resonant frequency for water
>is around 2.0-2.5 ghz? You'd have to shield it or the submersible
>would turn into a microwave oven.

Why would this NOT work?

Mike H.

>--Steve
>

>> Warren.
>>
>> > From: Warrend Greenway <dub@linuxmail.org>
>type
>> > "reactor" (not actually a reactor) from >fire
>alarms...............
>> >
>> > I heard about this, too. I believe the isotope in those firealarms
>is
>> > Americium.
>> > ( I could be wrong ). They're supposed to have very short
>half-lives,
>but
>> > still
>> > dangerous to handle.
>> >
>> > I thought about putting one from those firealarms into a homemade
>> > cloudchamber.
>> >
>> > --Steve
>> >

>> --
>> http://www.linuxmail.org/
>> Now with POP3/IMAP access for only US$19.95/yr
>>
>> Powered by Outblaze

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com