Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CO2 Scrubber

Sure. Like I said, my tests aren't complete, so I don't know how well my specific design will work. But
here is what I do know: CO2 scrubbers work by passing air through granulated calcium hydroxide. There is
a reaction between the calcium hydroxide and the CO2 in the air. The by-products of this reaction are
calcium carbonate and water. It is pretty ovious how this simple chemistry works. The trick is that calcium
carbonate is what you start with when you make calcium hydroxide. You hydrate calcium carbonate (steam) to
get the calcium hydroxide. This means that the water in the filter canister can be heated by an element to
drive off the carbon from the calcium carbonate and produce CO2 and calcium hydroxide. The CO2 would need to
be vented during this recharging process. The basic scrubber will consist of a canister with two screens, one
on the top, and one on the bottom. Granulated calcium hydroxide is then lightly packed or "sandwiched" between
the two filters to hold the medium in place. Air is then circulated through the canister. In rebreathers the
air is forced to circulate with two one-way valves. (So it doesn't just stagnate somewhere along the line.) At
this point I should mention that calcium hydroxide is standard slaked or hydrated lime, available at any hardware
store for a few bucks a fifty pound sack. I am trying porous plastic for my scrubber filters, but you should be
able to use plastic or stainless screen as well. Oh, and you have to remember that you will still need to slowly
replenish the oxygen in your sub with oxygen or air from a scuba tank. You should be able to test you own designs
for cheap with PVC or ABS pipe and fittings for your local hardware store.

Warren.

--
http://www.linuxmail.org/