Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CO2 Scrubber

At 09:52 AM 1/6/2003 +0800, Warrend Greenway wrote:
>The basic scrubber will consist of a canister with two screens

>calcium hydroxide is standard slaked or hydrated lime, available at any
hardware
>store for a few bucks a fifty pound sack.

I've been on the "rebreather" listserv for a couple years since this is
another interest of mine. You might enjoy this website--
http://www.atlimp.com/pend2.htm, although he is more serious with other
projects - http://www.atlimp.com/home.htm
other "famous" homemades -
http://www.metacut.com/rebreathers/TP2000/Default.htm (this author died
last month when the helicopter he was piloting crashed into NY waterfront
at night- another dangerous activity),
http://home1.gte.net/doctrbob/CCO2.htm,
http://www.hrc.wmin.ac.uk:8080/xml/kiss/home,
http://insel.heim.at/malediven/350052/english.htm

I don't think any serious divers would use hardware store hydrated lime.
The CO2 absorption depends on the exposure to the surface area of the
sodalime "granules" and anyone who bets their life on such only purchases
prepared "sodalime" from suppliers that have a consistant and reliable
product. The sodalime is discarded and replaced in the scrubber for each
dive. source - http://www.metacut.com/rebreathers//sofnolime.htm - this one
changes color as product is used up.

William Alford
walford@dbtech.net