RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] nuclear psub?

On reporting...well, it was mostly a bad joke... I've been fighting all day with some open source applications that don't handle encryption very well... lack of standards, I guess, and am tired and not thinking straight.

I certainly am not duty bound to report anything here...unless I should notice somebody mentioning that he has enough plutonium to fire up a mini-atomic pile, or somebody planning to sneak into a harbor and blow up a US ship with a spar torpedo mounted on his submarine.  Such individuals would be classed as "enemies foreign and domestic"... and anyone is duty bound to report such shenanigans.

You might think that terrorists would not be stupid enough to mention their plans on a list like this, but you'd be amazed.  Most of them are not rocket scientists, or in this case marine scientists.  I once had someone ask me how to build a bomb with gunpowder once.  I didn't tell him... hopefully, he blew himself up trying.

Practical fission reactors are probably not for most of us, though.  Now, cold fusion, or microtechnology applied to tiny little gas turbines that run on diesel fuel and some kind of oxidizer coupled with a generator... these could be interesting air-indepent propulsion ideas... and they'll probably be built on somebody's Unimat in the basement.

You know, this is by far the most interesting mail list I have ever run across!  You guys have come up with some of the most ingenious and outlandish things I have ever heard of... and you never bicker with each other.

How long has this been going on?