Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ballast Question

Bigger tanks partlly filled with water, soft or hard, ambient or not,
pressure compansate ambient or not.. will not work on a submarine..

The reason is what we call the "free surface". In simple words:
If the boat move under an angle for example to the bow - the water
in the tanks follow this angle the and the longitudinal trim and
stability get very quick out of control. Even a big Car-ferry can quick
capzied if the fire-sprinkler system flooded the car deck with some inch
of water.(but in this case to the side).

For this reason submarine have two types of tanks :
Big Softanks for the freeboard on the surface - allways
completly filled underwater !
Small hard tanks partlly filled for the zero bouancy.
If the hard tanks located near bow and stern we called them trim tanks.

The only sub I know with one just one single tank is the "Tadpole" (its
on the psubs picture gallery) with a vertical strong pipe in the center
of Graphity and Bouancy and also used as pillars between the both
endcaps of the shell. This tank is very high but has less diameter - so
the "free surface" is small under normal conditions up to 60-70 degree.

Best wishes for all friends 2003

Carsten    WWW.Euronaut.ORG   Carsten@Euronaut.org