Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] warning for smyth

True story of a submarine welding problem:

In the early 20s, on an O-class boat in a U.S. shipyard...

A reporter was assigned to cover the launching of the boat.   He arrived
early, met the important folk and sat back to wait.   After a while, the
launching was postponed for an hour or so.   The reporter decided to
look around.

Security wasn't what it is today, so he was able to get on the deck
of the sub.  He also got to walk alongside the hull.  He started looking
at the hull closely, and he noted a pitting in a weld at the stern of the

boat, at about the waterline.   He scratched at it, wondering what it
was.  Finally he looked around for something with which he could
scrape at the place.   He found a couple of feet of stiff wire, and he
poked for a bit.

Suddenly the wire broke through the weld.  It went all the way into the
pressure hull.    The reporter left the wire in the hole and ran for the
nearest foreman.   Breathlessly, he told the man of his find.

The foreman just grinned cheerfully and said, "It's OK.   We'll just
cover it up with grease after we launch her."

I think this was on Arch Whitehouse's book on submarine
warfare.   Right now I can't find it because I re-arranged all
the books at midnight while I was looking for a copy of Sir
Thomas More's "Utopia."

Mike H.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.