Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Getting Respect

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:56:15 -0400 Dan h <machine@epix.net> writes:
>Finding people to take us seriously and give us and our projects the
>respect we think we deserve isn't always easy. The discussion on
>dealing with suppliers of view ports is a great example.  It's a
frustration,
>I know, from both sides.

This is an interesting line of thought.   I find that it's image as much
as
anything, to get something from someone else.   While we all know this
from dating, it really does work.   My squeaky-clean 3-piece suit using
the
right words really does get me a lot more than I expect sometimes.

>Sometimes it's hard to get a supplier to take you seriously.  I hate to
>say, but I know I'm guilty of glossing over some requests put to me
>that I see as "never gonna materialize" also.

One of the reasons we see that in this hobby is because submarines,
in the minds of the rest of them, are all atomic powered, armed and
faintly evil.  One question I have heard many times when I've been
talking about this is "Where are you going to get torpedoes?"

>As most of you that are actually building a sub have probably already
>found out, sometimes you get better results if you don't even mention
>the word "submarine" unless it's really pertinent to your request.
>Sometimes to much information just clouds the water.  Convey only what
>you need to and with the confidence your potential supplier needs to
>hear.

I got into trouble as a 7-year old, in this respect.  My school teacher
asked
me what I wanted to do when I grew up, and I told her I wanted to be an
aeronautical engineer and design submarines.  I should have stopped with
"engineer."

>My point is, do your homework.  Know what you actually need.  Sometimes
>it's good to contact a supplier that you don't think you want to use
>anyway, just to gain knowledge and experience from someone in that
>field.  Approach it like going on a job interview where you don't care
>about actually getting the job.  After all, when dealing with anyone,
>to gain credibility, we first must learn how to best sell ourselves.

And this credibility sometimes requires a suit and tie, or whatever
the seller might expect.

>Credentials may be required in some situations, I realize that, but if
>you did your homework and sell your request, you should be able to
>find someone to look things over and stamp the papers.

Speaking of that side of it, does anyone know what it would cost
to have plans reviewed?

Mike H.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.