[PSUBS-MAILIST] Getting Respect

Finding people to take us seriously and give us and our projects the
respect we think we deserve isn't always easy. The discussion on dealing
with suppliers of view ports is a great example.  It's a frustration, I
know, from both sides.

Sometimes it's hard to get a supplier to take you seriously.  I hate to
say, but I know I'm guilty of glossing over some requests put to me that
I see as "never gonna materialize" also.  There are two separate reasons
this happens in my shop.

One, I try to screen the end use of what I am asked to produce as to my
liability level verses dollar gain.  That is to say, if I can generate a
thousand dollars producing hooks for hanging harmless laundry bags ten
inches off the floor, why get involved with producing hooks for bungy
cords, hanging people a hundred feet off the ground?  I have equal gain
with either job.

Second, am I getting involved with a job that the customer doesn't have
a clear cut idea of his needs?  He may think he does, but, do I think he
does?  These are usually the cases where I get a lot of time involved
and the job doesn't materialize anyway.  It doesn't materialize because
the customer, not knowing what he's asking for, isn't prepared for the
price tag to get what he actually needs and in a way I feel safe making
it for him.

As most of you that are actually building a sub have probably already
found out, sometimes you get better results if you don't even mention
the word "submarine" unless it's really pertinent to your request.
Sometimes to much information just clouds the water.  Convey only what
you need to and with the confidence your potential supplier needs to
hear.

My point is, do your homework.  Know what you actually need.  Sometimes
it's good to contact a supplier that you don't think you want to use
anyway, just to gain knowledge and experience from someone in that
field.  Approach it like going on a job interview where you don't care
about actually getting the job.  After all, when dealing with anyone, to
gain credibility, we first must learn how to best sell ourselves.

Credentials may be required in some situations, I realize that, but if
you did your homework and sell your request, you should be able to find
someone to look things over and stamp the papers.

Food for thought, Dan H.