Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Emergency tapping code...

Ray,

I know Morse Code at 30 words per minute because of my commercial and
amateur radio licensing, but tapping it on a ship's hull and tapping it out
on the radio are two different things because you don't get the
differentiation between a long beep and a short beep. A tap is a tap, you
can't make it sound longer or shorter. Just about all you can do is space
the time between taps, but it's still very slow tapping without the audio
signal characteristics. (I took great exception to the movie U-571, which
had a tapping scene) Just my 2 cents, but I do agree; what good does posting
your own secret code inside the sub do for someone on the outside coming to
the rescue. ;) Happy subbing!

- Jake Lauser

PS. Did anyone catch the awesome show in the History Channel last night on
the "Silent Service"?