RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Emergency tapping code...

Hi,

I have been going through a week's worth of vacation e-mail and mulling over my
response to the original mail. Well here goes:

Why not learn Morse code? More universal?

Posting a copy inside your sub is useless unless the guys on the outside
know your code. Post a copy on the outside hull, give copies to your
support team and who ever you left your dive plan with.

What does "Tapping: 3.3.3" sound like? Is that three taps, pause,
three taps, pause, and three more taps? How long is the pause before it means
a new signal? How long is the pause between taps and series of taps?

Have all tapping codes repeated back by receiver and the original sender
confirming with either a yes or no before any action takes place.

Codes like "Communication closing procedure" surely means that the
trappee, err tappee, inside the sub and the guys outside know the
details of the procedure already layed out in your operational manual.
Tapping the code just means we are going to initiate procedure X.

One axiom is that no plan survives the initiation of battle. If you don't
have a predefined procedure with its corresponding code it is really
going to be tedious tapping out a new procedure even with Morse code.

I would use tapping codes as an alternative. Part of a multi-layered
communications protocol. Starting with radio, underwater telephone, writing
slates at the view port, sign language (both diver's and American Sign
Language), face mask to hull, to tapping.

Regards,
Ray