Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Emergency tapping code...

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:15:00 -0700 (PDT)
Ray Keefer <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been going through a week's worth of vacation e-mail and mulling over my
> response to the original mail. Well here goes:

Hi Ray,

I hope your vacation was as fun as mine. ;)

> Why not learn Morse code? More universal?

I definitely think pen, paper and a morse code cheat
sheet should be on board every sub for every dive.

However, communication will take longer and be more complex.
There would be more room for mis-communication of information
and ambiguity.

> Posting a copy inside your sub is useless unless the guys on the outside
> know your code.

These are meant to be standard diving bell emergency tapping code.
I really don't much about bell diving, but I would imagine most
bell divers know this code already.  They would be a chance the
the rescue divers may have bell experience (although not to be
counted on).

> Post a copy on the outside hull, give copies to your
> support team and who ever you left your dive plan with.

I like this idea, especially posting it on the outside
of the hull.

> What does "Tapping: 3.3.3" sound like? Is that three taps, pause,
> three taps, pause, and three more taps? How long is the pause before it means
> a new signal? How long is the pause between taps and series of taps?

The standard doesn't say, but I would guess that the 3.3.3
"open comms" would quickly give you an idea of how fast the
taps will be and how long the pauses are.  If the person in
the bell/submersible was suffering from CO2 poissoning then
communication may have to take place slower so they could
understand and reply clearly.

> Have all tapping codes repeated back by receiver and the original sender
> confirming with either a yes or no before any action takes place.

Is there any one on the list who is a bell diver who can comment
on how the Emergency tapping codes work?

Repeating back the tapping codes sounds like a good idea, but
sticking to the standard might be less confusing for a rescue
diver who hasn't been briefed on the repeating back part, then
again this might be how it works in practice.

> Codes like "Communication closing procedure" surely means that the
> trappee, err tappee, inside the sub and the guys outside know the
> details of the procedure already layed out in your operational manual.
> Tapping the code just means we are going to initiate procedure X.

Well, it could be, but then it might just be that the rescue diver
is going to get a cable, or anything that would involve the diver
leaving the vessel and being unable to communicate.

> I would use tapping codes as an alternative. Part of a multi-layered
> communications protocol. Starting with radio, underwater telephone, writing
> slates at the view port, sign language (both diver's and American Sign
> Language), face mask to hull, to tapping.

Yes, I agree that tapping code is more of last resort, but sometimes
viewports or blocked and radios break.  This is designed for diving bells,
but I think that it's applicable enough to submersibles that it could
be used unmodified as a lost resort communication, I feel adopting
an existing standard might be safer than making one up as group (or even
worst each making our own tapping code up).

The other reason I posted this is, if you get into some trouble
which your surface crew cannot handle and a professional rescue
team is called in, then you'll know what three taps of three means
(this is why I would keep a copy it in my sub, if I had a sub).

I really hope I don't have to use tapping codes ever,
and I certainly intend to take as many steps as possible
to make sure that things don't get that bad.

  Ian.

--
The moon ate the sun on Monday and it was an awsome sight to see.