Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Theory Question

Steering.  Hmmmm...Admittedly, I haven't thought much about supercavitation because I don't deal with it.  But you raise an interesting point.  I guess you could steer with thrust vectoring, but then, as you say, what will happen to the shape of the bubble when the sub changes direction?  The closest analogy that come to mind at this moment are airplane wings I've seen that were perforated with a zillion little holes through which a portion of the engine exhaust was pumped.  They say it reduced drag somewhat, but the hard part was maintenance: keeping all those little holes clean.  I think if it were set up to distribute the gas envelope properly along the hull, a supercavitation system could be made to work at all angles and through a useful range of maneuvering.  But like you, yeah this is all way beyond me.

The closest I came to this kind of thing was a project for a high speed sub: I have the hull and the 454 ratmotor downstairs.  But I decided to sack it for reasons Herve expressed: how fast do I want to go when continually submerged in limited visibility?

Pat

From: James
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Theory Question

It seems anything having to do with supercavitation is pretty dangerous.  From some of the reading I did another problem is with the steering of the projectile within the cavitation bubble itself.  The projectile can start banging around inside the bubble along with some other issues.  I'm really not big into going as deep as possible anyway, reading about the pressures at depth make me nervous.  Being able to cruise around at 100 ft to watch the fish, or race around in a bionic dolphin is more my cup of tea.