Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Theory Question

Hi James,

I applaud your curiosity. For enough info to make your brain explode
search Google for supercavitation and methane hydrate.

Happy hunting!

Doc

James wrote:

    I remember seeing a show on the Discovery Channel or somewhere on the
Bermuda triangle where they tried to explain the sinking of ships in the
triangle.  They said that it was possible that gas was released from the
ocean bottom creating a large amount of bubbles.  As the bubbles rose to the
surface under a ship the density of the water was reduced therefore causing
the ship to sink.  They replicated the effect in a pool with a model ship
and it did in fact sink.  This is my best recollection of the show so I may
have some things wrong.  My question is, in theory if you were traveling
along at a certain speed in a sub, then hit a huge pocket of bubbles, could
your sub travel faster because the density of the water would be decreased?
I'm assuming that your sub is traveling fast enough, or the bubbles are just
large enough to be punctured by the sub.  Or is it even possible to travel
fast enough to puncture underwater bubbles?

James