Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Water-powered Sub...

In a message dated 4/4/02 10:29:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, sirius@riverstyx.com writes:

Actually, it is quite feasible if the PEM Fuel cells would last a bit longer. Who ever said you needed to store the hydrogen? If you had a high enough production and a few stacks, you could generate real time.

Unless you have a setup that would generate hydrogen directly from sunlight or some other extremely direct reaction, generating hydrogen on the run will not be efficient enough to be justifiable, much like a rocket powered motorcycle.
BTW, I never question the efficiency or effectiveness of fuel cells, only Hydrogen.

And who said if you did store the hydrogen that you had to chill the entire sub to

do it? That's what cryogenic containers are for. Just put them behind a bulkhead or something.

Yes, I know all about cryogenic storage, read my e-mail.

And who said you had to use electrolysis to seperate water into hydrogen and

oxygen?

Excellent point, unfortunately it's the most popular, reliable and efficient (unless there is a newsflash I should be aware of....)

There are biocatalysts which don't require electricity. Sure, they aren't as efficient,

but they still work. Instead of thinking we shouldn't bother because it's only a "nice toy for experimenters and hobbyists" maybe we should just try it and say "why not".

That is an excellent point, unfortunately one must also always ask "Why?" before asking "Why not?" or risk going through all kinds of work to only find out that you have a highly sophisticated and complex...toy.

Maybe then we could ditch our addiction to existing technology and embrace new

ones. It just might be the solution to our dwindling petroleum reserves, plus reduce atmospheric pollution and its associated trappings. Hydrogen is the wave of the future, along with Fusion power. How will you charge those batteries to begin with?

There are hundreds of ways to charge batteries. Hydrogen ain't one of them.

Just some thoughts... If I'm not mistaken, they thought Tesla himself was a lunatic,

but then again, there's a reason the government confiscated most of his research and experiment with it in top secret facilities every day. It's called, VISION! Happy subbing!

- Jacob Lauser

Tesla WAS a lunatic. He was stark raving NUTS! He was, however, also an extremely good inventor who made things that were excellent for their purpose, even if nobody had a use for them (like the wireless power transmission system, which was an anti-capitalist idea that might've worked in the USSR).

Anthony