Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question about general design?

Title: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question about general design?
Is my reasoning flawed?  If you have a off the shelf compressor bottle that is rated to 125psi that is outside your pressure hull, it would limit your diving to depths greater than 125psi (I don't know how many feet that is)   Otherwise, you aren't gonna blow ballast at 150psi with 125psi air.  So, if the tank always has pressure inside of it greater than the pressure outside, it ought to be happy as a clam.  They way I figure it, if the outside presure is 50psi and the tank is holding 75 psi, that's like having a tank at 25 psi with no pressure on the outside.  Being a newbie, I may be all wet, if so someone please  straighten me out.   Ken Harris
----- Original Message -----
From: David Buchner
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question about general design?

At 19:43 +0000 08/07/01, Captain Nemo wrote:
   "Second question.  Are off the shelf air tanks that you would get at Home Depot that are rated up to 125PSI  sufficient for storing pressurized air for blowing your ballast?"

Nope.  Stick with high pressure air tanks.  Lots of reasons why.  We'll talk later...

Please do; I'm interested in understanding these reasons. The main one I can think of is that at that pressure, those things just don't hold all that much air. I used up almost all of mine yesterday, pre-charging a 20 gal. household water pressure tank to 28 psi. That wouldn't translate into much ballast-blowing, at all. Besides, those always make me uneasy by the time they get up to 120.