Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] NEW LOGO STINKS!!!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lew Clayman" <lew_clayman@yahoo.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 5:57 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] NEW LOGO STINKS!!!

> Another concept floating around my disorganized braincase is a shallow
underwater observatory -

Don't know where you're located, but there's an underwater habitat / hotel
called JULES' UNDERSEA LODGE at the KEY LARGO UNDERSEA PARK down on FLA.
Gotta be a diver to book a room there.  Might be a way to get a taste of
what you're looking for.  Try this URL:

www.jul.com/about.html

> And another is a keel observatory suspended below a surface vessel,
ideally a sailboat.

Probably one of the easiest submersibles to build: a simple pressure hull (a
tank with windows) with some form of buoyancy-compensating ballast;
removably situated, say,  a couple feet below the stern of the boat with an
access tube leading to the surface.  Run some ducts to it, force surface air
through them with the fan blower from an automotive air-conditioning system,
toss in the mattress from a chaise-lounge, take along your favorite beverage
and snacks, and there you go: instant sea-observatory.

>And lately, I've been wondering if it would be possible to build a psub out
of plywood.   >-Lew

I saw an article about one that was made out of about 150 annular discs of
3/4" plywood, each a little bigger or smaller than the adjacent disc, and
bonded together.  Visualize a football that's been run lengthwise through
the meat slicer at the butcher shop, and glued back together.  The hull
walls were something like four or six inches thick.  I read that the builder
claimed the thing was pretty strong, and capable of operating at 100 FSW or
thereabouts.  I dunno, though.  I like steel, myself.

Pat