Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CSX-1 technical inquiry.

Hi Carsten!

Just wanted to explore the technical side of sub-building for a while.

When I asked what kind of "joint" you were using: this is a structural term
describing the way the steel plates are positioned next to each other before
welding; has a lot to do with the final strength of the finished product.

For example, when two plates are simply set side-be-side, touching on the
edges, and then welded, we call that a "butt joint" because the two plates
"abut" each other.  If the edges to be joined are beveled slightly with a
grinder, this gives deeper penetration for the weld, and is sometimes called
a "beveled butt joint."  When the plates are slightly overlapped and then
welded, this is called a "lap join", and so forth.  I was just wondering
what kind of joint you were using.

If I understand your description of the welding process you're using, it
sounds very strong.  I'm visualizing a butt-joint with one bead over the
seam; two more beads (one on either side of the first pass); two more beads
riding the crease between beads 1, 2, and 3; and a final "cap bead" pass
made down the center again.  If we cut a slice out of it perpendicularly,
and looked at the weld beads from the end, it would look something like a
diamond shape.  To me this sounds very strong.

I just came up from the shop and am taking a break.  Just welded in a
bulkhead for a small hatch which will allow me to access the end of the
tailcone for maintenance of the control shaft packing glands.  Also
installed a big coupler which will increase the emergency escape lockout
flood valve diameter by 325%, so I'll be able to get out faster if I get
into trouble.  Installing the watertight coupler for the underwater
telephone transducer next; then it's weld in the supplemental systems
battery box, and after that the hard stuff is done.  Time to vacuum out the
pressure hull, paint the inside, start putting her back together, and finish
up the exterior detailing.  Then, it's time to go diving!

Pat