Welding was: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CSX-1 technical inquiry.

Captain Nemo schrieb:

> Hi Carsten!
>
> Just wanted to explore the technical side of sub-building for a while.
>
> When I asked what kind of "joint" you were using: this is a structural term
> describing the way the steel plates are positioned next to each other before
> welding; has a lot to do with the final strength of the finished product.
>
> For example, when two plates are simply set side-be-side, touching on the
> edges, and then welded, we call that a "butt joint" because the two plates
> "abut" each other.  If the edges to be joined are beveled slightly with a
> grinder, this gives deeper penetration for the weld, and is sometimes called
> a "beveled butt joint."  When the plates are slightly overlapped and then
> welded, this is called a "lap join", and so forth.  I was just wondering
> what kind of joint you were using.

Okay - I did it this way : One side of both plates deep V grinded.
Plate to plate tack welded with a distance gap of 0,5 - 1 mm.
Than weld the deep V grinded side first.
Go to the other side (if possible) and grind the weld gap out up to the
time the weld gap is pure clear silver facing iron . Weld this side.
If everything is correct and the structure for example will be destroyed
-
the crack should be in the metal of the plate and not in the welding
area.

If I weld with a MIG welder there is a great possibility that the first
1 inch is to cold and also the last 1 inch. Special if you start
the day with this structure - and the scruture is strong and cold.
For this reason I grind this 1 inch out if I want to length the weld -
and also if the weld was cold down during a breakfirst break.

The multi layer welding on the regulator tanks has much more layers than
nessesary for the reason that I am a non-licence welder - and wanted
some more security in this item..

In general - If I do not know how to weld a special item - I ask a
proffesional
from the company which sold me the welder , the gas and the wire.

In general I prefer the Mig process - is fast and easy. But somethimes I
use
the stick welder - for examle if the space is to limited for the
MIG-hand-gun.
But be careful with the MIG process - ask a teacher !
The metal has to be cleaned from everthing - grinding to the pure rust
free metal.
With a stick welder it is not so important because in this process the
dirt comes
high and goes in the glas-surface-garbage layer.. (may you have a
shorter word..).
In the Mig process it goes into the weld..
In general ask a teacher - some of my first stick welds during the
shipbuilding
study and before Sgt.Peppers looks very good on the surface - we break
them for
test purpose and there were dirt near the base.

Welding is a three kind process :
1.) Teaching by a profesional
2.) Training
3.) see point two.

I thing the finest and best welding can be done with the WIG process -
but
I don't use it - may you should ask John & Monica - seems they use this
process.

> If I understand your description of the welding process you're using, it
> sounds very strong.  I'm visualizing a butt-joint with one bead over the
> seam; two more beads (one on either side of the first pass); two more beads
> riding the crease between beads 1, 2, and 3; and a final "cap bead" pass
> made down the center again.  If we cut a slice out of it perpendicularly,
> and looked at the weld beads from the end, it would look something like a
> diamond shape.  To me this sounds very strong.
>
> I just came up from the shop and am taking a break.  Just welded in a
> bulkhead for a small hatch which will allow me to access the end of the
> tailcone for maintenance of the control shaft packing glands.  Also
> installed a big coupler which will increase the emergency escape lockout
> flood valve diameter by 325%, so I'll be able to get out faster if I get
> into trouble.  Installing the watertight coupler for the underwater
> telephone transducer next; then it's weld in the supplemental systems
> battery box, and after that the hard stuff is done.  Time to vacuum out the
> pressure hull, paint the inside, start putting her back together, and finish
> up the exterior detailing.  Then, it's time to go diving!

This year ?

see you - Cssxarsten