Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Peroxide

The oxygen does indeed come from the same source.  The only difference
between the welding stuff and the medical grade is the filling process
- welding tanks have one vacuum pulled on them, while the medical tanks
have a vacuum, are flushed with oxygen, have another vacuum pulled, and
then are filled.  That and the medical tanks are analyzed and certified
as to their hydrocarbon, CO, moisture content, etc.  One industry
insider told me that the information would be identical to the welding
gas if you analyzed it.  The scenario you describe seems unlikely,
unless it occurred a long time ago, or with a shady supplier.

The gas analysis and tracking of the medical grade is just a liability
thing, but at a cost, which they kindly pass on to you.  Don't ask,
don't tell seems to be the policy with the gas suppliers - if you say
you are using it for diving, they insist on the USP (medical) gas
grades for liability reasons.  I know a few people who have been diving
for years on welding O2 and balloon helium without incident.  Also, gas
prices seem to fluctuate greatly between suppliers, and even between
outlets of the same supplier!  A bit of haggling can't hurt - as with
everything else in life, you don't get what you deserve, you get what
you negotiate.

-Sean