Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUB Fatalities...View Ports

Regarding view ports, I intend on having a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick stress
relieved polycarbonate canopy on my unit. I've run a few finite element
calcs on this at my crush depth.  I've also worked with poly this thick
before and I have no doubt that it will take a good 30lb wack with a ball
pean hammer at 100 ft with no structural damage. Of course I'll be
performing this test from the outside, just in case, and at less than 100
ft. Now, if I can only find someone to pilot the thing while I beat on the
outside canopy ... In all seriousness, overdesign + life = good; Underdesign
+ accident = very bad. For a high speed sub, it goes without saying, that
controlability will be a major design consideration. Pilot discipline is
also very important as well.
Suds