[PSUBS-MAILIST] Free escape (was: PSUB Fatalities...)

On Mon, 06 Mar 2000 15:27:43 -0800 "Sean T. Stevenson" writes:
>The inflation valve had to be extremely fast acting to fill
>the bag/hood as quickly as possible to move to shallow water, where
>some sort of vent or drag device would be actuated to slow a bit before
>surfacing.  Not sure what the current state of the art is, but it
>doesn't sound like too difficult a challenge to develop something
>appropriate for psub escape.

I've read similar stuff.

I do recall clearly that the British "Davis Submarine Escape Device"
(DSEA,
usually) was a device that had an apron on the front.   As soon as the
escapee left the escape hatch, he was to unroll the apron and hold
it out in front.   Speed of ascent was limited thereby.

I think the details of this are in Warren and Benson's books.   I'll see
what I can find.

Mike Holt
--

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!