Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RE:Sub Parts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Teed" <robteed@netzero.net>

Hi Rob,

I have no idea what the specs on this "iron lung" are, but we've been
talking about similar things as this lately, so...

There's probably a lot of things you COULD make a submarine out of; the
question is SHOULD you?

You ask if it might make a "good submarine"; (actually, if you have to ask,
the answer is NO!, but...) it might make something that looks like a
submarine; and it might even work like one within certain limitations and
after a fashion; but will it be a "good" submarine?  Maybe not.  Do you want
to take that chance?

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  If you're trying to
find out if there's life after death, you could braze a couple 55 gallon
drums together, slap a tolling motor on the end of it, and take it on down.
But if you're trying to build a "good submarine", this aint the way to go.

I've seen homebuilt submarines made out of cable floats, propane tanks,
boilers, sections of pipe, etc. etc. etc.  They all worked to a limited
degree,  but would I want to operate any of these in iffy conditions?  Nope.
Homebuilt submarines are inherently dangerous; and the more dubious the
origin of what you've based your pressure hull on, the more dangerous they
become.  And there's more to a sub than just the hull; for instance, there
are non-obvious things about the way ballast systems work that can cost you
the remainder of your alotted birthdays if you aren't aware of them.

I sure don't mean to offend you, brother; but if you're at that point in
your underwater technological development where you feel the need to ask
more experienced people if it's possible to build a submarine out of an iron
lung, then just maybe you need to learn some more before you attempt your
first boat?  Whatayathink?  (Be honest now!)

I've never seen this iron lung, nor had the pleasure of meeting you; but I
might like to do the latter some day, so under the circumstances, my advice
is that you take that iron lung on down to the scrap dealer and get a few
bucks for it.   Put the money into the bank and let it build some interest
while you haunt the local libraries for books on submarines.  Get a good
idea of how they work; experiment with working models in the pool; and then
think about getting into a Kitteredge.

Very best regards,

Pat Regan
vulcania@interpac.net