Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Launching at the boat ramp (was: Langkawi Islands)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael B Holt"

"Your solution is great, but most of us don't have your skills.   It would
 be easier for me, for example, to fabricate a pair of floats."

Thanks Mike, but it didn't take any skill, really.  It was butt-simple in
fact.  All I did was arc weld a section of 3" OD pipe perpendicular on the
trailer tongue with a little gusseting for reinforcement; and weld a section
of 3" ID pipe to the center hole of the wheel (an old spare I had laying
around).  That was it!

Grease the axle; the wheel just slips on and off, and is held on by a 1"
wide ring of 3" ID pipe: there's a hole drilled through the sleeve and the
outside end of the axle, and the sleeve is held in place by one 4" bolt
(with a nut on the end).   Not exactly what you'd want to run at the Indy
500, but considering we're only driving about 30 feet at less than 1 MPH, it
worked well enough to get the proving tests done.  Skill?  Shoot, buddy,
we're talking covered-wagons here!    ;-)

Of course, I know you know more about your project than I do; and if floats
will work better for you, go for it!  I just didn't want you to be put off
by the thought that this thing was rocket science, 'cause it sure wasn't.

VBR,

Pat