Hydrophones (was: periscopes)

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:54:07 -0700 (PDT) Chris Nugent writes:
>     Yeah,  I thought just a non-retractable one would get me by.
>Thought it might be cheaper to go the periscope route than to invest
>in some kind of listening device.  Thanks for the info tho....

OK, this suggests a question: how does one build a listening device?

Where can we find the hydrophones?    And the associated connectors?

The electronics of the rest of it seem fairly uncomplicated; the big
problem
is where to find the sensors.

Many years ago, I bought from a compnay called "John J,. Meshna" a
hydrophone.    Just the listenting head (no electronics), but I've not
seen since then a hydrophone that wasn't a part of a compicated
and expensive system.

Any ideas?

Mike