periscopes

    Hey all,

     I'm rather new to this and I apologize for any faux pas I may
commit in the act of writing...but...
    I was curious about what the best way to go is as far as
designing/building a nice simple periscope.  Don't know much about what
lens('s) to choose n etc.  Or is it relatively easy to see surface
craft approaching when looking through viewports at depth?  A collision
would really be a downer.  Any help you could offer would be great.

                                 thanks,

                                    Chris Nugent

===
This message sent in the name of the King, His Majesty Dirk Pitt