Gyros and Compass Modules

Ping and Bill,

    No, your C compiler will work.  I know there are C compilers for the
68HC11 series.  However, I have not used this feature.  I just like
assembly language for what I do.  Maybe I just like taking a beating,but it
gives me plenty of control over what I want to do.  Also I figured that the
C compilers may not be able to compile for "Single Chip Mode" as well with
its unusual memory allocations and variations between the various chips of
the series.  Some of my designs are very timing critical and memory space
critical.
    On the directional gyro issue; most planes use a vacuum system to spin
up the gyros.  Some planes use electric power rather than vacuum.  Electric
gyros are far more expensive.  Plus, how would you set it accurately if a
compass does not work well near your sub?  Vacuum driven systems are
probably not feasible for a sub.  Scrubber systems do not usually have
enough inches of mercury vacuum to drive a gyrocompass.  I would go the
electronic flux-gate, or Vector compass route if I were you.

Gary Boucher