Re: Gyros and Compass Modules

Jon,
    I think the BASIC Stamp is a good idea for many applications,
especially where math calculations are required.  However, my favorite to
work with is the Motorola 68HC11 Series of Microcontrollers.  I have a
68HC811 in my compass module housing that sends the data from the compass
back into the sub in RS-232 9600 baud format.  I don't have any experience
with the Stamp but I know it is popular.  With the Motorola processors you
have to use assembly language.  I have two of these processors in my subs
monitoring systems.
    The Vector module is very small, about 1.5 x 1.5 inches and requires
almost no power.  They are rugged and except for the gimbled version have
no moving parts.  The resolution is 1 degree, and the accuracy is 2
degrees.  I have tried to navigate underwater with a small Boyscout type
compass.  It was almost impossible.  When I turned on the power to the
motor the compas would swing as much as 45 degrees.

Gary Boucher