Control surfaces

I'm still conceptulizing, but have reduced my problem areas down to about
six. One not included, but one that could make a big difference with
controlability is control actuators. What are some of the mechanisms for
controlling surfaces outside of the hull? I do not want to use mechanical
penetrations through the hull, and would like to exclude use of a hydraulic
pump or cylinder inside the hull (person powered). Ideally this actuator
would be controlled electrically, via joy stick, where the actuator would be
outside the hull. Unfortunately, that probably means another motor that
would have to be sealed. Play would have to be minimal. At this point I'm
open to any good suggestions, mechnical/hydraulic/electric/magnetic, hull
penetration or not.
Suds