Re: Question

Thousand's of pound per square inch or thousands of pounds... Ahhh, that is
the question. Yes at 400 ft, you're looking at ~ 170 psig. However, I don't
have my trusty slide rule, but I'd estimate around 25,000 lbs per square
foot!! Big difference, no?? Yes, I've built test chambers. I used a very
large pressure cooker one time, and it was great for vacumm degasifying
resin, but when I put pressure to it, it deformed on me very well; Yes, very
well indeed. I still can't get the top off of it, ha. Aluminum is funny that
way. If it's not the right alloy, it can pose a serious problem. I've since
limited my maximum depths to around 50 psi. This allows me to use various
pressure tanks rated for that range. I've been working on a hydraulic test
chamber for a while now, it is a lot safer than air, if a leak occurs, since
the expansion of the liquid is minimal during a leak. The damage to your
equipment, test rig, and anything that surrounds it (you) is minimal. It's
kind of on aback burner however, since I'm limiting depth to 100 ft.
How big of a chamber do you intend on building?? Be very carefull. Typical
home compressor units only go to 160 psi. Examine one of these tanks. Any
larger, and the thickness of the steel wall goes up by the X power (?). I'd
have to get my statics book out to see what the relationship is, I'm sure
someone on here knows. Just be carefull.
Use liquid, it's safer, and you can drink it when you're done (UGH)!!!
Paul