RE: "LETS DROP IT" (back to subs)

Dear F.

You know, about 15 years ago I made something super-simple that really was
zero hassle yet loads of fun, and given the interests you described earlier,
you might find this a third option in the wet-dry discussion. Its not an
invention or anything, lots of others have done it before I did.

This thing (I believe the term is underwater sled) was just a metal frame
with a towing eye on the front, and a pair of wings with a handle on each.
I'd tow it behind a boat, with a diver on it. It was magical, because it was
true FLIGHT, yet at slow-motion speed -- it gave the impression of flying a
stunt plane, yet because of the slow speed you felt you could just step off
the plane in case of impending trouble. You could fly upside down, look at
the reflections on the surface, or skim along above the water, corkscrew
around, move over and around bottom features. This was so simple, it had no
fuselage at all, and no tanks -- it just sank, and I started and ended runs
in a sandy area. The shortcomings are obvious (you need a boat and a
volunteer to tow you, for one) but on the other hand you can build the thing
in one weekend.

I think an extension of that idea would be to make a basic wet sub with the
bare minimum components, and use it in towed mode at first. Then if it works
nicely you could always add the propulsion, batteries, lights, instruments,
etc. to the extent that suited you.

What d'you think?

-Alec