RE: New lister -- hull calculation contribution

From my earlier message:

> I would very much
> appreciate if someone could run an independently calculated design through
> it to see if the results match!

Well, someone came through!

"ACJacques" was kind enough to put two sets of hull data through his "under pressure" software, and sent me the results. It was very interesting to compare them with what I get using the my primitive little spreadsheet:

- The spreadsheet does not calculate collapse pressures for the endcaps. Instead, it the cylinder will fail first. Jacques' program does calculate endcap failure, and as expected the cylinder was the weak point. (Disclaimer: this is only true if the material and thickness of cylinder and endcaps is the same!)

- Both tools predicted the same failure mode in both tests (shell buckling)

- The failure depths were not exactly the same, but they were less than 10% apart. In one test, the spreadsheet came out 6% more conservative. In the other, 9% more aggressive.

- Even though the spreadsheet does not calculate the endcaps, it does assume stiffener rings (they have a dramatic effect, so any design I come up with is likely to use them). To use the spreadsheet for a non-stiffened design, I had to hoodwink the formulas by specifying a minimum of 2 "frames", which I made massive and set a full cylinder length apart. I also had to say the "distance between bulkheads" was equal to the entire cylinder length. In other words, the spreadsheet formulas only worked if I treated the endcaps as bulkheads.

- Because of my "fake bulkheads" the spreadsheet weight calculation could not be checked.

MY CONCLUSION:
When I was going through the literature to put this spreadsheet together, I found a number of alternative formulas for calculating the same things, even in the same book. They are all approximations, and anyway the actual failure depth will be heavily influenced by "unpredictable" factors such as out-of-roundness, hull pass-throught, material imperfections, etc. I think it should be OK so long as (a) the safety factor is MUCH greater than 6-9%, and (b) I do a physical test whatever the theoretically calculated result.

-Alec
PS: Thank you ACJacques!!!