Re: intro and suggestion on hydrogen venting

Vance,
    Good to find another person on here with a working sub.  I also email
Jon Shawl frequently.  I strongly suggest also that anyone with any kind of
lead-acid battery use Hydro Caps.  I use them on my 6 internal batteries.
It is a good investment.  They were slightly less than $6 each when I
bought mine.  That is $18 per battery.  It is as you said, worth it.  There
are a couple of facts that I might bring out about hydrocaps.  First, as
the battery reaches full charge the battery off-gasses more and more
hydrogen.  This full charge state can be monitored by the temperature of
the Hydro Cap itself.  In the first phase of charging they are cool and
then they get warmer as the battery finished the charge cycle.  If a Cap
stops working then it is cooler than than the others on the battery.  Also,
if a battery has a bad cell it can be noted by temperature change either
one way or the other.
    I have thought of using a linear temperature sensor such as the LM35DZ
epoxied to each Hydro Cap to monitor the charging cycle temperature.  If
anyone is interested I can discuss this more, but I think such a system
would be valuable in monitoring each battery cell.  An automatic shut-down
of the charger could be accomplished based on temperature rise.
    Vance, I have a web site if you are interested showing some photos of
my sub at:

http://www.shreve.net/~protek

Gary Boucher