ambient preference

  Greetings all

  As I new member of the list I feel I should introduce myself.  I've
been toying with the idea of constructing a 1ATM design for almost 10
years now.  On many occasions (read "revisions") spending months in
planning only to become frustrated at the cost, bulk, and potential
safety issues of 1 ATM construction.  I have finally decided that a
pressure hull is not for me.  Being an avid SCUBA diver, the concept of
an ambient sub seems much more enticing, almost familiar (a HUGE mask
covering your whole body 8-) ).  Costs are managable, and you can leave
the vessel when you arrive at destination.  Bottom time is certainly an
issue ( I'm a no-deco kind of guy), but I don't see myself spending
much time below 32 feet anyhow.  Does anyone on this list have any
experience with open designs (I still like to keep dry though)?  I.E.,
my big question being are there any pitfalls with ambient designs that
slipped anyone's mind that I should look out for! :)
Thanks for the bandwidth

Alex Wolfe