Cost effective submersible design

>Hi, David - there may be some contradiction in an "innovative
cost effective" sub.  I think I know what you're getting at, though.

The cheapest way is not always the most cost effective way.  When
a material or method is both inexpensive and superior in function,
then it is cost effective.  Concrete pressure hulls may be cost
effective and structurally superior to steel.  Gold may be the most
cost effective material for electrical hull penetrations.  Gold is a
superior conductor and it is the only conductor that does not
oxidize.  Electrical malfunctions are the most common cause of
problems in subs.

>If what you mean is cheap materials that are easily worked, then
those materials are available.

Simple elegant solutions to problems are what I'm looking for.
Cheep is good, if it is also reliable.  For example: Has anyone tried
polymer reinforced concrete as a hatch material?  Viewports are
expensive, however, acrylic resin is only about $5 to $10 per liter.
Clearly more efficient methods of casting acrylic viewports would
lower the cost.  The right way of doing a job is usually the fastest
way.

>Is this your first sub/habitat?  Have you thought of building a
simple wet or dry ambient boat as a test platform?  This will get
you into the water very inexpensively and quickly (in relative
terms).

I've been drawing sub designs since elementary school.  It's
probably best that I didn't build any.  I think I'll build one boat and
get it right the first time.

>There is a concern that a one atm. boat will be an overwhelming
project the first time around.  It may be worth the time and expense
to fly down to one of the list members' homes and getting a ride in
their one atm. sub.  The insights from spending time with the
builder and actually being down in the sub may be worth the $200
to $400 in flight and accommodations for a couple of days.

Good idea.

>As for concrete, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it
performs u/w.  Stick to Stachiw, however, and you'll have plenty of
data to back up your designs.  Some people are not comfortable
with metal working, but, are with concrete.

Concrete is a very versatile material.  I've worked on some
remarkable projects using acrylic, epoxy and steel reinforced
concrete.  The applications of concrete are still not completely
explored.  On land the weight of concrete is sometimes a problem.
In submersibles and habitats the weight of concrete helps
overcome the enormous buoyancy.

>If you live close to BC let me know.  I may be able to help you
out.  We have several submersible manufacturers out here who will
be glad to give you a tour.  I guess I'll have to drag myself along,
too   ;-)

I'm in Michigan only about 3,000 miles :).  I hear the diving is
incredible Vancouver.  I am a SCUBA diver.  This is as good
excuse as any to dive in Vancouver.
I never realized there was such a concentration of submarine
builders.
There are a few barriers to my project.  The primary barrier is the
high cost of viewports.  If there was a market for acrylic domes,
(and I believe there is a latent market) the cost barrier can be
overcome.  The cost of producing one dome is high, however, the
cost of producing a hundred domes is considerably cheaper.  I have
made some suggestions for lowering the cost of manufacturing
viewports.  I hope it is a start toward overcoming one of the
barriers to living and working in the ocean.

The dreams of Jacques Yves Cousteau never came true.  The
pioneers of ocean exploration developed the technology for living
and working in the sea back in the 60's.  Yet at the close of the
Millennium we are no closer to that dream.  The barrier is probably
cost.  The Navy has provided the technology.  It's free to anyone
with a library card.  It is up to inventors and innovators like
ourselves to make it affordable.  Once the cost barrier is overcome
perhaps those wonderful visions will come true.

David Irons