Re: One last time

Phil,

    First, you are right that I was upset.  My asking you if you had
ever read PVHO was just plain tacky, and I apologize for being tacky.
I do not question your day job as you have defined it on psubs.
Many of us would enjoy such a vocation.  If this were a discussion
group where life and limb were not at issue I would probably not
have even commented the first time.
    Since you have been informative about your job, I too will discuss
my profession.  I teach physics, electronics, and computer science,
at LSU in Shreveport, La.  My doctorate is in engineering but not
mechanical engineering.  I have no doubt that you understand
materials better than I understand materials.
    As I mentioned, I teach at the university level.  I am at the top of
the faculty when it comes to teaching evaluations.  I have a pretty
good understanding of people, their abilities and weaknesses, and
the learning process in general.  All of this sets the stage for
restatement of my original point.
    There is a wide range of talents and abilities on psubs.  I am
certainly not the final authority on anything here.  But there is also a
group of people that dream of owning and operating their own sub
someday.  Many of these people are far far from having the
knowledge to do so with safety.  I was once in that group myself.  I
seriously question that (all) of those people in that group can go on
to build a safe submersible.  I also believe that some can.
    If you really knew me, you would not question my willingness to
venture into areas that have not been well trod by the multitudes,
such as unusual materials, designs, or methods.  I have never
thought of sub design as any form of "Holy Grail" as you mentioned
in a previous post.  There is nothing mysterious, or black magic-like
about it.  But these people are not ready to build a "Deep Flight".  I
personally would not want them to try some of the psubs suggested
materials and practices.
    There has been much talk of testing.  But, an example of what I
have been saying occurred recently on psubs.  It was clear that some
believed that any window design that held to maybe double the
depth of operation was safe.  They never even knew about long term
effects or cycle testing.  They were discussing the construction of
testing systems to apparently take the window to short-term critical
pressure and failure.  This is my point; if they stick to standard
materials like PVHO advocates or Kitteridge apparently is using (I
know very little about his subs) they have a well defined, well laid
out approach to construction.  However, if they go off with the "Its
OK to use anything, cause the expert said its OK" approach taken out
of your context, I a genuinely concerned that they will be so far off
into uncharted ground that there will be a fatality. To assume some
will not take this out of context is risky. Some will take that and run
with it, thinking that they have covered the bases.
    You use titanium, special alloys, exotic materials because you
know how they perform.  You apparently have many years of
experience in material science.  They don't.  As an example; they
possibly would take these same materials and combine them so that
when temperature changes, and each expands or contracts with a
different coefficient of thermal expansion the seals could be
compromised.  Their are so many things that some don't know to
think about.  There is so much to know about the field of testing that
many don't know.  That is why, once again, if they are going to build
a sub anyway, they should stick to something that is not at some
new cutting edge, but basic, excepted, and a well trodden path.
    The reason that I got upset, was not the fact that I take issue with
the fact that you could perhaps theoretically build a sub out of many
materials.  The reason I got upset is because I know the impact that
your statements can have, and how they possibly will be received.
   One final thought here.  I have a copy of PVHO and I too have read
it.  It is about 10 years old.  Why doesn't PVHO advocate the
any-materials approach?  They were very specific about materials
and they were all metals or acrylic plastics that were used in their
standard.  There are other standards I know, but if anyone builds
with materials that are not accepted, the design will be
non-accepted.  If I advocate materials that are not included by any
known standard then I am advocating building a sub outside of
accepted practice.

Gary Boucher