RE: Unmanned test dives

To all,
On saving the hull, I believe someone suggested using a fishing net to capture the big pieces and a winch which can handle the weight plus the jerk when it tries to sink (after being neutrally bouyant).

For the viewports I would suggest facing the port into a pipe with a cap on the end and a machined flange on the other similar to your sub's port receiving hole.  The pipe can then be flooded and pressurized to the depth you want to test to.  Pressure cycling and/or long term exposure is then very trivial, it could even be automatic with a little ingenuity.  In addition, a dial indicator can be positioned on the port to measure deflections.  This may help predict failures or show non-elastic deformations.  A 3000psi scuba cylinder with a regulator can provide the pressure for an air over water charge line to the pressure vessel good to any depth up to 6000'.  Using a small orifice can prevent most of the explosive problems with this setup.  Make sure your pipe and the flanges have the capacity for the pressure you will be using.  You can even make this double ended to allow testing of two ports at the same time.  I would recommend a blast shield of some sort around the whole t!
hing just to be safe!