Re: Visibilty / Safty or Safty / Visibilty ?

Jonathan Shawl wrote:
Phil Nuytten wrote:

>  [snip] The point is, you can make a sub out of damn near anything that is
> impermeable
> to water . .it's just that some materials and shapes are more efficient that
> others. Sub design, like life, is a series of trade-offs and compromises.

I agree with that totally. My first sub was made from an aluminum wing tang
(hull). one half of a 275 gallon oil tank, the end of a water tank (hatch), the
hatch gasket came of a washing machine tub, and 4- 100 lb size propane tanks
(ballast tanks), and it worked to 12'. Then I tested it later and it crushed at
15'.
[snip]

How deep are they going in the successful fiberglass dry 1 Atm, subs?
Do they know the crush depth? Are they operating them close to crush depth and
don't even know it?
Actually, they do.  The individuals Phil is referring to are seasoned pro's.
Is there any way to reliably predict the crush depth of the one off subs you
are talking about?
By following your suggestion of blowing a hull first.
I can't think of any tradeoffs that would make it worth while to build a flat
sided pressure vessel or to make one out of anything other than time proven,
cheep, strong, steel.
There are several reasons, not all of them technically satisfactory.  Sometimes, a decision can be a "just because".
I don't work much with metal.  But, I enjoy wood.  So, I read the following with lust in my heart.  Why?  Because.  Does steel make more sense?  Probably.  But, using a plexi dome for hi-vis, on top of two plywood pontoons is, to me, a fantastic tradeoff.  Like Phil's saying, UNDERSTAND THE PARAMETERS.  That's the qualifier here.

Read the following and weep . . .

1st of 2:  '"Hikino"  (US Navy), 56 in. by 0.75 in. thick acrylic sphere, test depth 30 ft.  Pardon me?  3/4 in. plexi?  Not that thick.  But, it worked.  Another hull may have been made at 1/4 in. thickness.  Operating depth of that one was 20 ft.

2nd of 2:  "Submanaut".  Made of 4 in. thick PLYWOOD "donuts", covered with 0.75 in. of epoxied glass fibre.  TESTED to 350 ft., operating depth 200 ft.  Crush depth calculated at 1,000 ft.  4 hrs. at 1 kt

Maybe someone can enlighten me? I like to think I have a open mind. But I will
always stick to safety first over all other thinking.
That goes without saying.  But, I believe we all are really agreeing on safety.  It's the parameters that we're a little fuzzy on.
After all, what is the
point in making a unsafe sub, or one that is only safe to, lets say 30'? Might
as well go diving.
Well, the experience of sitting in a sub with water over your head is quite different from diving.  I remember the first time I used hookah.  Unlimited air time.  Spent four hours on one dive!  Or what about the first time you wore a hi-vis diving mask?  Could always have said that they were too hi-volume, hard to clear, too buoyant, too many windows, etc.  But, damn, you could sure see a lot more!
I think we are agreeing. If not, how long before we get to the part where
people start beating the dead horsie? What type of club or whip do I buy?  Just
asking, I'm new here. ;-)
Um, I think you've got an intuitive sense of survival here, Jon.  It's just about now we start wondering how far THIS thread's gonna go.            :-)

Rick

--
Rick Lucertini
empiricus@sprint.ca

"Most people die with their dreams still inside them."