Re: Registration

> << I'm with Ray on this.... the most likely scenario that would leave you
> driving
>  blind is the lack of a viewport! >>
>
> Yes but is not flying blind worth the expense and risk of having a viewport?

QUESTION! :    What is the difference between playing sub-driver in a simulator and not having a
viewport?
Ans.: None

In other words, what is the point of "investing" all our time and money into driving subs if we
can't "be there"?

Not having a viewport is tantamount to scuba diving by proxy.  It is strictly a "because it can be
done" vs experiential debate.  We've gotten wrapped up into a philosphical debate.  Yes, there are
clear (no pun intended) technical and safety issues involved.  I'm well aware of that.

Arguments pro viewport allow the driver to actually bring home memories of an experience that take
him/her out of his/her living room and into 3-dimensional living - real life.  Examine closely any
of the available imagery from manufacturers of imaging systems.  Nothing comes as close to the human
eye/brain for interpreting an environment.  Hell, why not just build ROV's and sit in the boat
puking over the side?

> Perhaps it is more worth the expense to simply add a backup video camera.

Excellent idea.  And, for less than $500.

> don't see how anyone could justify their opinion on this unless they have
> statistics on costs and failure rates for both viewports and underwater camera
> system.

Having an opinion can be based on rationales other than technically justifiable logic.  Even then,
empiricism wins the day  ;-)  Go with what works.  And viewports - work.

I use a dive mask that doesn't give me "mask-vision".  Why?  Dunno.  I just love the actual
EXPERIENCE of being IN the medium rather than INTERPRETING digital signals on a CRT.

Passion for being underwater is my excuse.  I want to SEE schools of hundreds of fish surrounding me
- the shark disappearing into the murk - the turtle . . . yadda yadda yadda.  How on earth can you
see a school of hammerheads slowly swimming above your sub, silhouetted against the noonday sun -
with a CRT?  Dave Doubilet, where are you when we need you?

> I'd like to point out that hydrophones, a reliable and relatively
> simple, device could allow a psub operator to listen for passing surface
> vessels.

Great idea.  Especially around deep keeled vessels.

Upward facing sonar would help us avoid the sailboats, windsurfers, ocean kayakers, buoys, barges
and marathon swimmers.  Not to mention subs without viewports.    ;-)
--
Rick Lucertini
empiricus@sprint.ca

"Most people die with their dreams still inside them."