Re: Trolling Motors

   After a couple of Psubs Emails I am getting the picture of what is going
on here.  Little slow...  I have a couple of comments.  First, I personally
do not think that anyone should build a sub that can not take the change in
weight of a flooded trolling motor compartment.  All subs should carry some
form of compressed air that can be used for blowing what might be only an
emergency tank or tanks.  This source of air should be manually controled
with a very reliable valve.  My sub has two scuba tanks, two regulators,
and two valves used for ballast blowing.  I sometimes use an electric
solonoid valve for giving a "shot" of air to the tanks but I also have two
manual valve with much redundency.  One shot of air should be able to take
care of a motor housing flooding.  An alternate approach would be to also
use drop weights.  I have around 200 pounds of drop weight.  Now, my drop
weight system has 3 switches that control two seperate drop weights.  One
is the ARM switch and has a switch cover to prevent accidents.  The other
two switches are FORWARD and AFT.  I do have to have electrical power for
this system but this is NOT my primary system.  The air system is.
    My second point is; you need somebody that can go and pick you up if
you surface and have no propulsion.  They at least need to know where you
are and what kind of reserves you have.  Two-way communications is
desirable also.
    Now, I am not commenting on the electrical shock danger here from
exposing bare wire to outside water.  However if the case of the motor is
well grounded to the frame of the sub this "may" be a minimal concern.

Gary Boucher