Re: Thruster Construction

>From owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org Sun Jun 21 18:55:51 1998
>From: Subscuba@aol.com
>Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:48:57 EDT
>To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
>Subject: Re: Thruster Construction
>Sender: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
>
>Steve,
>
>I would think you would need someone who could do a thermal analysis
for you.
>My opinion is that if you had good thermal contact between the steel
pipe and
>the motor housing the surrounding sea or fresh water would provide a
more than
>adequate sink to prevent the motor from overheating. If the motor is
made to
>run in free air you may have a safety margin for cooling. The answer is
not
>simple since the cooling depends on the construction of the motor. Some
motors
>are made with forced air cooling and do not conduct much heat through
the side
>walls. If this is the case you may have a problem.
>
>I estimate the motor at 12 horsepower draws 270 amperes from 36 volts
assuming
>92% efficiency for the motor, almost 10KW of power.  I'm interested in
what
>size your batteries may be  to provide this kind of discharge current.
If your
>batteries are sized to provide more than a few minutes of operation
your Sub
>must be fairly large. My question is what size is your Sub?
>
>Good Luck and have fun,
>
>Ken Martindale

I got my motor and batteries out of an electric lawn tractor.  I have
six 6-volt deep cycle batteries.
The tractor would run full speed for over an hour so I assume that my
sub will also run for an hour at full speed.  The batteries themselves
are quite a bit larger than an average 12-volt car battery, but fit very
nicely in the back of my sub, which is approximately 14 feet long.
If anyone has any ideas how I can cool my motor, if it was enclosed in a
housing, please let me know.

                                 Steve McColman, Vancouver Island