Re: Thruster Construction

My sub has 5, 5hp 36 volt motors with aluminum housings. In-housing soleniods
send 12, 24 or 36 volts to the field windings depending on power needed. The
alumunum housings are 6 inches larger in diameter than the motors( about
8").There is a problem with these motors in that they do draw too much current
when on  36 volts (full power). The wiring and batteries were immersed in oil
bath with an impressive Woods Hole muckity-muck study on how it would work
with the current draw. Still not able to make it work above half speed.
Circuit breakers blow above this. I would be cautious about ten hp motors.