RE: Thru Hull Control

I've been trying to just sit back and learn a little about the group and
only write in when I thought I could help.  Well this time I probably
can.  I don't have a sub under construction but am very familiar with
shaft seals of many types for many purposes.

I would recommend a simple double o-ring seal surrounding a ball type
thrust bearing and two needle type rotating bearings to absorb the
differential pressure and bending moments respectively.  This assembly
would be flooded with a waterproof grease via a zirc fitting located
opposite a bleed screw (to let the grease flow out during maintenance).
The whole thing could be manufactured as an assembly with a flange to
hold a static seal.  A nut on the inside could sandwich the hull to
prevent rotation.  It could then be installed in a single reamed hole to
reduce the amount of machining on the hull and reduce the cost overall.
The ball and thrust bearings would also be very economical.

This should provide a good starting point for discussion in the group.
Richard D. Morrisson