Re: HP, weight and visability

Fri, 24 Apr 1998 21:29:15 -0700, Martin Sanderse
<sanderse@ingenuitygroup.com> wrote:

> Jon Hylands wrote:
> > Not necessarily. If most of the space between the hulls is filled with
> > non-compressible foam, then it's not a problem...
>
> Well, the only way to get the foam or microballons or whatever to sink is by adding
> weight, so I can restate the case by saying that the lead or hull weight you had to add
> to get the sub heavy enough to sink the foam  . . . .

See, once again you're showing your neutral-buoyancy bias :-)

You can use dynamic forces to make a heavy plane fly, and in the same
manner you can use dynamic forces to make a light submarine sink. The VASH
went under quite readily, and it only weighed in at about 600 pounds. It
probably displaced three or four times that weight.

You (not you in particular, just whoever) really have to adjust your
thinking when you start dealing with dynamic "flier"-type positively
buoyant subs. Many of the standard "rules" and limitations that traditional
submarines have don't apply. Of course, these types of subs bring in their
own rules and limitations, so like most things in life, it's a trade-off...

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      Jon@huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon

           http://www.huv.com