Re: New Member

Hi Mike,

> Permission to come aboard,Sir

Permission granted.

> I am an ex-Navy(SS) cook off the USS Omaha(SSN692) and I'm living now
> in Malaysia. I've always wanted to build my own submarine, and I was
> thinking that the trucks they have out here for hauling cement by road
> or rail would be perfect for the main body of a submarine as they
> already have an access hatch to enter, and would only need slight
> modifications to become waterproof. That way, you don't have to
> violate structural integrity, or build the whole thing from scratch.

What are the demensions? Are they cylinders or some other shape? Unless
they are cylinders I would avoid them or severly limit your depth.  In any
case expect to add internal bracing. Also consider the quality of steel used
in their construction. The steel may just be a mild steel which would have
limited strength. One avenue you can try is contacting the manufafactures and
get the details.

> When I came aboard the OMAHA there wasn't anything inside other than
> valves and pumps, just little bumps on the decks showing where
> everything was going to be put in. I learned, in the course of
> qualifying 688-class subs, where every valve,pump,wire,cable,etc. was
> because there wasn't any bulkheads even covering things up.

A real submariner. I am jealous. I hope you can pass on non-classified
tid bits.

Regards,
Ray