Re: hello

Hi Jim,

	Perhaps I am wierd or paranoid but...

> I tend to disagree with the idea that we should spend our time marketing and promoting this hobby.
>Rather, I think we should spend our time and energy building, experimenting, piloting, and proving the sport.

You are correct in saying that most of our focus should be on "building,
experimenting, piloting, and proving the sport." However an aspect of our
hobby is that we will draw attention whenever we use a sub. In fact I
draw attention whenever I get a fax or leave a printout at the printer
at work.

I doubt much time or effort will get wasted. A few days of dicsussion and I am
sure this topic will drop by the way side for more immediately important
discussions.

Why do I feel this discussion is important at all? I see a long term
future to getting man into the sea. I have seen thousands of acres of
prime farm land in the Silicon Valley get paved over for factories. I
see a future for man getting permanately in the seas for housing, food
and recreation.

This won't happen in the next 10 or 20 years but it will happen and we can
help. However this is a personal dream and I don't want the group to feel
that my dream is our agenda. Our agenda is to support each other in designing,
building and operating subs. Any else is just a side line.

> People will migrate to this as a hobby if they are interested.  It appears there are (were?) a number of manufacturers who have enjoyed little success building and selling recreational submarines -- most (all?) of whom are no longer in business.  There are a limited number of enthusiasts who have both the interest and the money to support this as industry.

If there is enough interest to mass product subs then the costs will go down
and more individuals can and will get involved. Yes some of us will build their
own. Though I see a larger future in this hobby, perhaps a small industry.
Again I am thinking of 10 to 20 years down the road.

> On the other hand, there is enough information out there to make this an interesting hobby.  How are we to benefit from spending time and energy actively marketing this hobby?

I don't expect anyone to really spend much time or money on marketing this
hobby, but if a friend or buddy is interested in it because of your enthusiasm
then by all means show him the way.

> Don't get me wrong -- I am eager to build and enjoy a personal submersible, and equally interested in talking with others about their trials, successes, failures, and experiences doing the same.
>
> Tell me why I should be concerned about the "long term health and popularity" of this hobby?  Why should I care about "the slow acceptance of underwater vehicles" as a sport/hobby?  These concerns have little, if anything, to do with how well I'll enjoy my time with my new toy when I build it.
>
> I am much more interested in hearing about what the subscribers of this list have experienced in their pursuits, than hearing that I'm involved in a socially-accepted sport.

I don't take part in socially-accepted sports. I take part in the sports I
am interested in.

Government regulations can shut you down. Then you don't get to enjoy
your toy. Think it can't happen? I am a law abiding citizen. Yet every year
my favorite sport, shooting, gets bogged down with more and more regulations,
restrictions and bans. Over the past 20 years I have seen a shift to a negative attitude amoungst the general public and polititions towards my sport.

With this experience I say our long term view should be to encourage any
who ask for help and to shed a positive light on our hobby when and where ever
we can. For the short term we should build our toys.

Regards,
Ray