hello

Hi to the group.

I'm new here...I heard about this yesterday and figured I should drop a
line.  I too have an interest in submersibles;  how many of us are there?
I guess I'll start out with a question.  I've been trying to design some 2
and 3 man "concept" submersibles over the last year (I think one of the
main problems with the slow acceptance of underwater vehicles--besides
cost --is that most people can't conceptualize the underwater world in
terms of their own daily lives...I know this may seem too philosophical,
but I bet the idea of getting into a steel cylinder or acrylic sphere just
doesn't sound appealing to most people).  What we really need to do is to
get people to say to themselves: "Yeah, I can picture these things as part
of the marketplace in 10 to 15 years."  And aesthetics have a lot to do
with this.  I have yet to see a submersible which my friends wouldn't be
scared to get inside...not just for fear of being under water, but because
they wouldn't feel at ease with the ship itself.  Some look too much like
spaceships, some are practical for their purpose but weigh too much for
the average Joe to tow behind his pickup.  Anyway, so I was going to ask
about the use of carbon fiber (and composites) in making hulls.  Has
anyone seen a successful use, and if so, who built it and for what
purpose (deep diving, military, etc.)?
I imagine that fiber reinforced materials with some internal support would
lend themselves nicely to making sleek (commercially, aesthetically
adaptable) crafts.  What do you guys think?

-Gareth Block