[PSUBS-MAILIST] WS-108 Altimeter

I received the multi-function WS-108 Altimeter in the mail today and had to take a little time to play with it. The most difficult part was calibrating the compass. I haven't driven around with it yet to see how it does. The compass has a significant lag time when you change direction, and after 30 seconds it reverts to the time-and-date display.

The compass doesn't concern me much since I really bought the device for the very sensitive pressure/vacuum gauge (aka altimeter).  A change of 1 psi results in a change of 2,000 feet on the altimeter.  Therefore a change of .1 psi will register as a change of 200 feet.  It seems to be a stable instrument.  You can set the display to Altimeter and it will remain for one hour before reverting to the time-and-date display.

I'll get a vertical card compass to tell which direction I'm pointed and explore inertial navigation/accelerometers.

Jim