[PSUBS-MAILIST] Air compensation experiments

Hi all
I posted a little while back about Karl's system of air compensating his motors using a
first stage regulator with the spring removed.
I had a system made up whereby I could run my first stage without spring from a low pressure hose
connected to the low pressure port of a 1st stage on the tank. I was thinking of using this system to
equalize an ambient sub hence the desire to run it off the low pressure port.
All right in theory but when I stuck the regulator under the water there was very little air coming out.
To make matters worse the air still came out when the 1st stage was taken from the water.
I then ran the system off high pressure, & the air came out before the reg had descended in to the water column.
I could stop the flow easy enough with a finger; so a bit of back pressure would control it.
The conclusion to date is that it isn't as sensitive as a 2nd stage regulator.
Am going to source some light springs & hopefully develop a slight pressure above ambient off the low pressure port.
Hope this makes sense.
Regards Alan