Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ready to print

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is to look beyond using the available plastic materials to simply produce finished parts.  3D printed plastic solids actually make ideal positive molds for sand-cast aluminum or steel parts, and can save you a significant amount of money on castings when you avoid having to involve a skilled pattern maker - particularly for complicated geometries, compound curves, etc.  Designing for casting is not difficult - just a few key considerations such as adding draft (slight taper to facilitate removal from mold), avoiding cooling / shrinkage problems by avoiding abrupt thermal mass changes in geometry, and maintaining reasonable minimum wall thicknesses.  After casting, you can either finish mechanically, or as a colleague of mine does regularly, trim the worst by hand, sandblast to even out the rest, then spray with polyurethane or "tool dip".

As far as suggestions for finished plastic 3D printed parts, I might look at things in non-critical service, such as fairings, aesthetic trims, console bezels, etc.

-Sean

On 2012-02-12 18:10, JimToddPsub@aol.com wrote:
Hi, Alec,

I checked Wikipedia for the different types of 3D printers and learned more than I have the capacity to absorb at this point.  ABS might be a good alternative to metal for actuator housings.  I'm sure I'll be considering the question for a number of components.

By the way, last week I went through your Snoopy250 and Snoopy Updates postings on the Psubs website.  Picked up some good ideas and suggestions.  Thanks for taking the time to take all those pics and post your comments.

Take care,
Jim